Wednesday 4 March 2009

Aniela

Aniela
Aniela has short brown hair, the sort of pixie look that I envy but cannot pull off because my hair is too curly. Damn dad, I had to inherit his genes. I couldn’t have had mum’s hair; dark, long and straight.

Her hair used to be blonde. Since making this huge transition people have thought that Aniela is gay. So, when her hair was blonde and short nobody questioned her sexuality, but now that it is brown she is suddenly regarded as a dyke. What a concept!

“Why did you change your hair colour from blonde to brown” I asked. “Too expensive” she answered. It was at this point that I empathised with her. I also used to have peroxide blonde hair, but $200 every 6 weeks for a full head of foils surely puts a dent in a student’s wallet. Now I pay about $10 and buy what I call “packet colour” from Woollies every six weeks. What a saving! I may not be as aesthetically pleasing, but I carry an extra $190 in my pocket. I don’t think Aniela even colours her hair with “packet colour” because it is really short. She probably cuts it every six weeks. I never asked but it looks neat and in-style enough to assume so.

She told me that she is Polish, a nationality I would have placed upon her. She actually looks like Maja, my Polish friend who also rocks a short, dark do, but nobody thinks that she is a lesbian. Why is that? Come to think of it, she is also an ex blonde. This transition never made anybody second-guess her sexuality. Why is that?

I think that Aniela is a really cool name. Actually, I think Aniela is pretty cool. She lives in Chatswood so she must be snobby. So, so far one might assume that Aniela is a snobby lesbian! That is pretty plausible right. But that’s not why she is cool. She is cool because she just is. Aniela is a short, dark haired, Polish chick from Chatswood who is cool.

Aniela told me about her family. She explained how they escaped from Poland during World War II and eventuated in East Africa, and then made their way to England and then over to Australia during the seventies. Isn’t that cool? Oh and her grandmother is Irish. She must be a drunk then, right?

Aniela had a boyfriend for four years. That’s a really long time, in fact that’s almost a quarter if her entire life! Well actually they went out in primary school too. I thought that was pretty sweet. Hmm she must not be a lesbian after all. Oh, but they broke up all but a year ago and Aniela recently coloured her hair brown, so this probably means that she turned to the same sex after she ended her relationship with her boyfriend?

All across Europe Aniela has been, but funnily enough never to Poland. “But aren’t you Polish?” I asked. “Yeah but I never got a chance to go.” When she told me about her travels I became quite envious. She asked me if I had been to Europe. “I haven’t found anyone that I want to travel with yet,” I answered. “I went with my boyfriend” she responded. I became envious at that also as I too want a boyfriend, especially one with whom I may travel. But they broke up. So I needn’t be jealous anymore.

After all you may have read and heard you have probably figured that I don’t know much about Aniela, besides that she is a Polish girl from Chatswood who has a really funky haircut. Other than that I have merely made many assumptions about her with the minimal information I have. Is she a lesbian because of her short brown hair? Maybe. Is her grandmother a drunk because she is Irish? Perhaps. Is she snobby because she is from Chatswood? Possibly. All really I know for sure is that Aniela is a Polish girl who has a really cool short, brown hair do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this one!

sounds nicer if you are reading it to someone over the phone on the night before an assessment is due?