Monday 6 April 2009

The Living Room That Has Never Been Lived In

Decorations left over from Christmas remain behind the blinds. It is now April. The stereo system sits upon a cabinet made from what seems to be ancient sand stone, which has a chip in the top left hand corner. I remember when we first moved in the removalists thought that they had broken it. When they apologised mum laughed, telling them that it was “meant to be like that.” They laughed back at mum, questioning why she would buy something that is broken. The DVD shelf is always messy. It hold too many things, none of which are DVDs. Mum has asked me to tidy it up so many times, which I still haven’t got around to doing. My friend Jack always makes fun of the chairs on my dining room table, calling them “masking taped”. This is because they are wrapped in beige leather straps, which resembles masking tape. The table that they surround is made of glass, which sits on four marble slabs. It is a really unusual dining table, so unusual in fact that we aren’t allowed to eat dinner on it, not even on special occasions. Standing near the table is a sand stone giraffe.

My grandmother hates it. She tells me that having animal statues in your house means that you are inviting the devil. We haven’t had any visits so far.

No comments: