Saturday 28 November 2015

Lessons of 2015

As another year draws to an end, I lie in bed and reflect on what I have learnt.

Today I came back home from living on my own in Melbourne for 5 months. What an experience! Meeting new people, a new job, just really putting myself out there and learning that I have the ability to do anything, I just have to believe in myself.

To sum up the year, it has been full of good times, great times, failed relationships, ended friendships, tears, laughter, pain, death and even insipid moments.

But when I really think about it, I have learnt a lot. Whether or not I apply these lessons in future years is another thing, but reminiscing on everything that has been, there is definitely something valuable to take out of the year that was:

  • Don’t take anything personally. The way people act (and react) is a reflection on them more than it is on you.
  • Strength comes from the mind. Your mind controls everything. If your mind is right everything will be right.
  • Be patient. Don’t rush. What is due to occur in its own time.
  • Don’t run away. Your problems/demons will only hunt you down and try to hurt you more.
  • Don’t be so naïve. Giving people “the benefit of the doubt” will often result in heartache.
  • Listen to your intuition. This is a big one. Usually what your gut is “screaming” at you is right. Don't fight it, you will only kick yourself harder in the end.
  • Don’t assume everything will be okay. Make it okay. Things don’t just “fall into place,” you need to make the good stuff happen.
  • Listen to your body. Don’t follow any so-called “rules.” If you’re hungry, eat, if you’re tired rest, if you’re happy smile and if you are sad cry.
  • Always be honest. Whether it is with yourself, or with others. don’t try to sugar-coat things or beat around the bush. You will respect yourself and others will respect you more for it.
  • Don’t be so whole-hearted when it comes to others. Everyone has their own agenda, and just because you feel a certain way about someone, it doesn’t mean they feel the same about you.
  • Listen more than you speak. You will learn more.

So there you have it. That is what I have learnt. Lets see how well I can apply these in the years to come.

No comments: