Monday 29 June 2015

A recipe I do not know

I want to write down my favourite recipe, I really really do, but I don’t (exactly) know it.

I mean, I KNOW it, but not in the orthodox “measuring cup” sort of way, that I can write it down and you can pass it on from generation to generation.

This inability to remember (and somewhat follow) recipes comes from my poor at-home “training”, given to me by my mother.

Always having been a foodie my interest in cooking has been rife. I somehow just knew which flavours are best infused together, such as lemon and garlic, coriander and thyme, rosemary with meat, so on.

When I started asking my mother for the recipes of my favourite foods that she would make she simply could not tell me. No, I retract that. She could, kind of tell  me, but in a very rough kind of way. “just a pinch of salt, a little bit of lemon juice, some pepper, a dash of oil.” I never really learnt any of her recipes. It would infuriate me because I wanted to learn, she just did not know how to teach me!

…and now at 26 I am the exact same. I don’t have children but I love cooking and when people ask me for my recipes I just blurt out a list of ingredients with some rough measurements, as though I am throwing it at them.

“What did you put in that vegetable casserole you brought over tonight?”

Spice
Spice
Condiment
Himalayan sea salt
Black pepper
Spice
Chili
Spice

But here I go. I am going to try to tell you my favourite vegan pasta recipe. It is so fresh and crisp, made with zucchini noodles and a heap of vegetables. Totally raw, nutritious and delicious!

It is worth noting that I have only ever made this for myself so all measurements are for one person.

You will need

·     2 x zucchini
·     1 x tomato
·     ¼ green or red capsicum
·     ¼ Spanish onion
·     Generous amount of basil (i mean a lot - you want the flavour and aroma to come through)
·     Handful of parsley
·     Himalayan rock salt
·     Black pepper
·     ½ cup apple cider vinegar
·     ¼ cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil

(FYI these are all approximate measurements – I usually just chop and add until things start looking right).

What to do

  1. Spiralise the zucchinis to make zu-dles (zucchini noodles). You can buy a vegetable spiraliser from any kitchen or homewares store. I think some fruit markets now also sell them.
  2. Chop the tomatoes and Spanish onion into diced bruschetta-like cubes.
  3. Desiccate the basil and parsley
  4. Mix in all ingredients with the noodles, including the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix together.

If you don’t necessarily want this to be a vegan dish you can add some smoked salmon.

Crisp, healthy and fresh…the perfect post weekend detox meal or summer time light lunch!

Again, I am sorry for the approximate measurements – you will get the hang of it, I promise!







No comments: