Friday 29 May 2015

Minimal makeup, Maximum beauty


I was at a wedding here, rocking Chanel Rouge - probably the most makeup I have ever worn.

Minimal makeup. It’s my thing. Anyone who knows me knows that. I am not a fan of the “cake face”. Not on myself. Not on anyone. If you wear too much make up I can't trust you - what are you hiding?

My mind is boggled by people who carry around 24 shades of lipstick, blushers, brushes, eye shadows and prima… WHAT IS PRIMA? I may sound ignorant, but really, anytime anyone wears prima, they ended up looking white in photos. White like their face belongs to a mannequin. And I also don't understand those foundation bottles that are numbers and not names. Foundation 334. I think some numbers are for going out and other are for "everyday"?

No. Just no.

Stop.

Everybody is impeccably beautiful. The trick is to discover how to flaunt your beauty and accentuate it.

I am the proud owner of a single "sand beige" foundation, perfectly suited to my skin tone for any occasion, day or night. I have a couple of light shaded pink and peach lipsticks for “everyday”, and the Chanel Rouge that I wear on super duper special occasions. There is something wonderful about red lipstick. It makes me feel so “grown up.” I actually bought it when I wore a "recycled" dress to a wedding (oh I know, the horror), which justified spending inordinate amounts of money. I also adore the Chanel waterproof mascara (hoping that the waterproof-ness will forgive me for re-applying once every 3 days…maximum), and a black eye pencil. The brand doesn’t matter, as long as it is stays on all day. Right now, I think I am using MAC.

To appear ultra glamorous I apply a (usually straight) line at the top of my eyelids. I have tried the "inside the eyelid at the bottom of the eye" look and its not for me. It makes my eyes appear way too close to one another. Just a short line at the tip. That’s it. It suits me and makes me feel like a movie star, and that is really it is all I need.

Let me note here that good quality makeup is important. Nobody wants that dry “crackly” mouth that happens when your lipstick is too dry. Always make sure your lips are kissable, even if you have nobody to kiss. Trust me on this one.

Oh, and another sensitive subject… blush!

I don’t know how I feel about red blush powders and their accompanying sticks. Actually, I do. They suck! They give you the “aunt that you only see at Christmas and asks for a million kisses but doesn’t bring any presents, wears purple eye shadow, glitter and smells like cigarettes and dusty perfume.”

I usually go for a cheek stain, or if I am short on cash (the status quo) , an old, almost finished dark shaded red or pink lipstick does the trick. Just a few dots along your cheek bone and rub it in. It gives that “I am conveniently just a tad bit bit flustered” look.

And eyebrows. Don’t over pluck them. Just don’t. and if you do don’t draw them in either. Don't even try. They don’t look like eyebrows, they just look like drawn black (usually squiggly) lines on your face. Trust me on this one too.


This photo was taken by my mother as I was heading off to my year 10 formal in 2004. I was 15. I think I look older here, but my makeup style has remained the same. Natural colours, emphasising your prettiest features. That is all.

No comments: